American Express last week released the American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report, a report on consumer sentiment toward travel one year after the pandemic began. Key findings of the report reveal pent-up demand for travel, a willingness to plan new trips, and the growth of digital nomadism.
The main findings of the report based on research in seven countries (United States, Australia, India, Canada, Mexico, Japan and the United Kingdom) were as follows:
- Strong pent-up desire for travel: 87% of people surveyed said that having a trip planned in the future gives them something to look forward to; 76% of respondents are creating their list of destinations for future travel, despite not being able to travel yet; and 63% of respondents said they are saving up so they can go on vacation when they feel comfortable traveling.
- Ready to book: 56% of respondents said they miss traveling so much that they are willing to book a trip, even if they have to cancel it later.
- Rise of digital nomadism: 54% of respondents said that the freedom and flexibility of being able to live and work while traveling the world is more appealing now than it was before the pandemic.
- Safety is a priority: 65% of respondents said they plan to travel after they receive the vaccine for COVID-19.
- Privacy is the new top luxury: 75% of respondents agree that experiences offering total privacy are becoming a sought-after feature of luxury travel.
- Increase in sustainable travel: 68% of respondents agree that they are trying to be more aware of travel brands that promote sustainability.
The findings presented were the result of an Amex Trend online survey conducted by Morning Consult between January 15 and 24, 2021 among a national sample of 1,000 travelers in Australia, Canada, India, Japan, Mexico and the UK, and 2,000 with household incomes over $70,000 in Australia, Canada, Japan, the UK and the US, household income over $50,000 in Mexico and income over $20,000 in India. The results have a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points in the US and plus or minus 3 percentage points in the other countries. All the findings of the study can be found here.